The Canadian Hard of Hearing Association – Edmonton Branch
CHHA-Edmonton is a national, registered, non-profit organization, by and for individuals who are hard of hearing and late deafened.
CHHA-Edmonton is a branch of the bilingual Canadian Hard of Hearing Association (CHHA/AMEC) in Ottawa.
CHHA-Edmonton was established in 1993, and incorporated in Alberta on February 24, 1997. Initially, CHHA-Edmonton was formed to give visibility to an invisible disability.
CHHA-Edmonton comprises a dedicated group of hard of hearing and late deafened volunteers whose primary purpose is to educate the public, promote awareness, provide support and information, share experiences, and provide an understanding of hearing related issues.
To be a progressive, dynamic organization working towards full inclusion of persons who are Hard of Hearing.
We increase awareness, and remove barriers for, persons who are Hard of Hearing in the greater Edmonton area by providing support, programs, and advocacy.
- educate the public and promote awareness about hearing related issues
- address the concerns and coordinate activities on behalf of hard of hearing and late deafened individuals
- encourage hard of hearing and late deafened individuals to take individual and collective responsibility for their growth and development
- provide communication strategies e.g., sign language and speechreading
- promote self-help among hard of hearing and late deafened individuals by encouraging them to overcome obstacles and learn effective coping strategies to cope with hearing loss, offering support groups and workshops
- promote hearing accessibility in all daily activities including the home, workplace, school, theater, church, transport facilities, etc.
- promote technical supports such as assistive listening devices, hearing aids and real-time captioning as well as establishing mandatory standards
- promote policy development through presentations, research, and participation on committees
- promote research into the problems of hard of hearing individuals and to foster solutions
- represent the hard of hearing and late deafened at the local and national level
- pursue the aims of the Canadian Hard of Hearing Association